Thursday, June 18, 2020

Yellowstone III

September 17-22, 2009

The morning after my big night at Upper Geyser Basin I lingered long in the campground, even while beautiful light was recreating Madison River just hundreds of yards from my tent. I seemed to have been raptured out, at least temporarily. Eventually I wandered down to the river, checked out some serious algae life in a back channel, and then strolled upstream to the Information Center where I hung back and listened to others talk to a ranger who seemed to know his stuff. Bob Hamilton was his name. He was scheduled to give a talk the next afternoon at West Yellowstone on the impact of wolf reintroduction on grizzly bears. Knowing I wouldn’t get to the talk I asked him for the abstract, which was roughly that wolves probably help grizzlies by providing more dead meat.

He was breaking for lunch and invited me to sit with him while he ate. Rather than just ask questions I had to put in my two cents as well and we had a good conversation about broader issues. I should have just shut up and learned but I felt I had to pull weight. He told me that one elk herd, the Madison herd, never took to migrating out of the park in winter and was getting hammered by wolves. He also confirmed my impression that the Yellowstone trees are sadly undernourished. A surprise treat.

Another ranger came by for jeep keys and the two discussed a wolf pack’s apparently wanton slaughter of over a hundred sheep near Dillon Montana, as well as the recent law allowing people to carry weapons in the national parks. I suggested that armed hikers could increase the killing of grizzly bears, but the second ranger’s concern was more with the possible shooting of rangers.

I set out after lunch intending to do a falls hike but impulsively turned up the Firehole Canyon scenic drive and discovered - Firehole Canyon! Who knew? I looked back later to see if the guidebooks mention it, and they do, but not with the proper awe it deserves. It was pretty great. An 800 foot-high lava wall, a wild river with lots of rapids, a significant falls, and eventually a swimming hole, the reason most people come here. Me, I like wild water. I did descend to one great rapids, managing to negotiate steep volcanic slopes without falling on my face. The spray was warm, not surprisingly since the river had just run through the greatest geyser basins in the world. By the time I finished exploring the three-mile road it was time for dinner at the picnic area along Nez Perce Creek.

Firehole Canyon

Firehole Canyon


Firehole Canyon


After dinner, I puttered a bit more around the river near one of the hot spring areas. The geysers themselves can be annoying, really. Hot air, smoky, smelly. (I suggested to one of the rangers that they put lemon juice down them to freshen them up a bit, but she didn’t even snicker. I guess Yellowstone rangers get so many asinine comments that they don’t recognize genuine wit when they hear it). I mostly like having access to the river. The Firehole River in itself is nothing spectacular, and would not be protected or accessible without the geysers. That's part of the beauty of Yellowstone National Park: it protects a fair amount of fine but not spectacular landscape because of the geological weirdness. 

Firehole River


Duly rested, I set out the next day on my waterfalls hike. Two of them, actually. Mystic Falls was my first destination, but I was delayed at Biscuit Basin by another outburst of charismatic megafauna. A large bull elk came strutting across the parking lot, followed by an adult female and a classic-looking juvenile, not sure which gender. One by one they came, through the steam of the geysers, and into the grass beyond. The two females (I’d decided) began to browse, but the male had other things on his mind. He wallowed into a marsh and started shaking his head into the soup, presumably intending a mating display. Grass in his ears, grass in his nose. The younger female gave him a glance but the older one kept browsing, as if to mutter “just ignore him honey”.

Elk display




The hike itself could only be anticlimactic, but it was a nice stroll up a mile or so to 70’-high Mystic Falls on the Little Firehole River. Thermophile strips along side the falls indicate the river’s thermal character. Then another ascend some 500’ elevation to an overview of a classic oxbow on the Little Firehole.

Mystic Falls


Little Firehole River


On to Fairy Falls. Down Fountain Flat Drive, a gravel road turned bike trail in wide open country alongside Midway Basin. Then a turn into a real trail through doghair lodgepole already succumbing to pine blister. Not a hike I would want to do on a hot day, but this one was growing cloudy and eventually turned to light rain. The thin, 200’ falls looked quite theatrical in its natural grotto, amid mixed regrowth and open burned spaces. On further to Imperial Geyser, a rambunctious little guy with nice color. The hike had me thinking of fire, soil, and trees. Lots of dead and downed trees, not for the first time in this forest's life, presumably providing nutrients to the soil. How long will it take before this builds a soil capable of growing a forest richer than lodgepole pine?

Midway Basin

Fairy Falls

Fairy Falls

Imperial Geyser

That evening I returned to my perch above the Gibbon-Firehole confluence, a lovely golden blue. One bison. Two female elk, both with collars. Many people on beach chairs on high banks, myself included, though I was by myself on the northern bank. One fly fisherman. An elk came my way below in the river and many people followed with cameras past my chair. A couple of them had had a few beers. But they all went away with the elk. A pastoral scene, and I decided I’d be happy to die here. Back to the campground in the dark, stars were bright, the area was quiet. I realized this was the first day I took no nap and no painkiller, and I was feeling pretty good. The sulphur? Don't be ridiculous.

Gibbon-Firehole Confluence

collared elk


Madison River

The next day I relocated to Tower Campground; a three-hour drive
with the closure of the Madison to Norris segment of Yellowstone Road. Otherwise it would be just over an hour. It was midday before I get anywhere, a nice little hike overlooking Yellowstone River Narrows.

Yellowstone River

Yellowstone River

The Tower area is a sleeper, a wonderful condensed area of geological exposure, plus the Yellowstone River. A spectacular exposure of basalt columns rises directly from the road on the way to Tower. Regrettably, the road and its turnouts are very narrow, dangerous and insufficient, though so there would seem to be little the national park could do to improve access or safety. The overlook to Calcite Springs is more valuable for overlook of Yellowstone Canyon.


Yellowstone River

Not much national park presence, just a backcountry station with no real visitor's facilities, though the young man on duty was certainly responsive.

Then a brief reconnaissance of the Lamar Valley, famous as an “American Serengeti” and a big area for viewing wolves. This was not the time or the season for that and I had the place to myself. I was laughably tentative, sticking close to the mostly quiet highway, and of course saw nothing but bison. For me it was a landscape place. Golden meadows, rounded slopes with benches, lightly forested, then up to background peaks, river of course running through. Light wasn’t all I could wish for, with gray clouds darkening the peaks. The golden meadow, though, glowed. On the ride back a pronghorn crossed the road right in front of me in the gloaming. A real gift.

Lamar Valley

Lamar Valley

Lamar Valley




Then it was on to Mammoth where I surprised myself by taking in the hot springs. The light looked good, the crowds weren't bad so hey. Once again I had a great time. Storm clouds along the horizon added sublimity to exquisitely delicate formations. Otherwise, not a thought in my head.

Mammoth Hot Springs

Mammoth Hot Springs

Mammoth Hot Springs

Mammoth Hot Springs




Nighttime temperatures at Yellowstone were now hitting the low 20s. I had found this high adventure
the previous fall at Tioga Pass but I wasn’t ready for another go-round. I was still recovering from my bronchitis. I felt much better but still tired easily and couldn’t do any serious hiking. I was weary of life in a tent and a car, very ready to sit by a window and look at the Seattle rain against the conifers. My "Rockies" notebook was nearly out of pages. They'd stopped selling the camp stove fuel I needed. Mice were in my car and chewing holes in things, including my tent. I was nearly out of anti-depressants. Clearly this trip was winding down.

I had one last hike in me, nine miles round trip to Osprey Falls on the Gardner River, and it was a good one. I saw 6 people all day. I got stared down by a bison in the open field, nothing between me and him were he to decide to charge. I took my time and was not back until 5:30. After a quick dinner at Sheepeater Picnic Area I soaked up what little sun was left in a great landscape.


Osprey Falls

Osprey Falls




I was feeling somehow liberated. As in, Mission Accomplished. Pulling out of my campground the next morning I waved to a young lady just setting up camp and she responded with the happiest face and most exuberant wave - I'M IN YELLOWSTONE! It felt good to be leaving the park to fresh psyches.

Breakfast at a picnic table north of Mammoth on the Gardner River, the Wyoming-Montana border, and right near the 45th parallel for what that is worth (a sign). Not quite out of the park yet, but damn close. Absolutely perfect fall weather. I noticed I was sitting under a juniper tree. I hadn't seem one of those in a while. Ecosystems change fast.


Leaving Yellowstone (approximately)

Grabbed a campsite outside the park along the Yellowstone River, lots of sunlight and large boulders providing crucial windbreak. The sun was sliding along the top of the ridge rather than just dropping behind it, a wonderful development. The river was across the highway in deep in a trench, access demanding far more energy than I had to give it. Plus it was in the shade, and sun was my highest priority. Even after the sun set the temperature remained a good bit warmer than what I'd been experiencing. I was at a lower elevation but I didn’t know how much lower. As of 7:30PM I was still sitting out in a sweater.

Morning was a different story. Temperature wasn’t too bad but the wind more than compensated. The sun didn’t emerge where I'd hoped it would; it was climbing behind a ridge and wouldn't be over it any time soon. I would have to go out and find it.




No comments:

Post a Comment